The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltgood-point-for-discussion-is-saving-for-25137251.aspx

Subject:  Re: Blue Collar Early Retirement Date:  2/6/2007  3:17 PM
Author:  markr33 Number:  765 of 59856

<<Good point for discussion. Is saving for ones retirement a good thing and something that should be encouraged and lauded? Could the actions of a person who has saved adequately for retirement be considered "superior" to the actions of a person who has not saved for retirement?>>

Sure. But it's only one aspect of a person. I may be smart, but I eat poorly. I may work hard, but I rarely call my parents.

Of course it is only one aspect, but I thought that that particular aspect is the main topic of discussion on a retirement discussion board.

SP may be frugal, but he is bereft of compassion.

I doubt this is true of someone who is generous and volunteers his time to worthy causes like SP does.

Is he superior or inferior to a person who manages money poorly but cares about other people?

I wasn't talking about superiority of people, I was talking about actions and behaviors. Even if it were appropriate to discuss the superiority or inferiority of particular people here, we hardly know enough about them to make such judgements.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us