The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-never-me-a-self-made-millionaire-who-was-25144244.aspx

Subject:  Re: Liberal Early Retirement Date:  2/7/2007  7:30 PM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  1281 of 59850

I have never me a self-made millionaire who was liberal. There are plenty of liberal millionaires, but most of them got there through sheer luck, or inheritance

Hi. Nice to meet you.

I have no inheritance; both my parents are still alive, at ages 86 and 88.

I went to college, and paid for part of it myself. My parents paid the rest. My first job out was making $110 a week, and I bounced around the tall grass of New Hampshire and Maine and Massachusetts for 8 years making more or less the same.

I went to work in corporate America (Westinghouse) and rose through the ranks, until I was General Manager of a Business Unit. I bought a house, sold it when transferred, bought another, and so on, four times. I spent a lot less than I earned, and I am now a millionaire. Not to put too fine a point on it, but Mrs. Goofy is also a millionaire. Not to put a really really fine point on it, but my dog, if he could sign his name, would also be a millionaire. We have 7 cats. They are not all millionaires, although we have hopes for them.

We made most of what we have through salary, bonuses, and saving. That said, we did not skimp; we didn't pull our washing machine out of the dump, nor look in rainbarrels for our washwater.

Overall, I believe that self-made wealth is overwhelmingly associated with conservatism and personal responsibility.

"Conservatism" has nothing to do with it. "Personal responsibility" surely does, but somehow you think that people who are liberal cannot also have that trait. How sad for you, that you have fallen into the stereotyping of people - and so incorrectly, too.

While there may be a "liberal" plan for early retirement, I have not seen this addressed so far in this thread, and I am not certain there really is a practical one.

On this we agree, except I don't strut around saying "Oh, I'm self made, so the rest of you can go to hell." I had a lot of shoulders to stand on. I was born white, and to middle class parents who cared. I happened to live in a very good school district, which prepared me for college, which prepared me to work in a giant American corporation. I "saw" values every day, I wasn't burdened by negative culture, or skin color, or wondering where my next meal was coming from. I didn't have an older brother who was a drug addict, nor a younger sister with some incurable disease which sucked up all the family savings.

Some people do. That doesn't excuse a lot of antisocial behavior, but it certainly explains some of it, and so I am somewhat empathetic to those who have all of those additional hurdles to cross just to get to the starting line, where life dropped me with a free pass, of sorts.

That's "luck", too, of course, just not the "intrcst won the stock market lottery with Dell" type you're moaning about. Some people have one kind, some people have another - and some get none at all. That's life. I have some sympathy for those who fall into category #3. Most "Conservatives" I have noticed do not and I'm not sure that's a very admirable trait.

In fact, I'm sure it is not.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us