The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/goofyhoofy-writes-thats-quotluckquot-too-25144457.aspx

Subject:  Re: Liberal Early Retirement Date:  2/7/2007  8:38 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  1293 of 63093

Goofyhoofy writes,

That's "luck", too, of course, just not the "intrcst won the stock market lottery with Dell" type you're moaning about. Some people have one kind, some people have another - and some get none at all. That's life. I have some sympathy for those who fall into category #3. Most "Conservatives" I have noticed do not and I'm not sure that's a very admirable trait.

</snip>

Not to put too fine a point on it, but my investment in DELL was about a 3-bagger when I retired in 1994. It wasn't until after I retired that DELL grew exponentially and propelled me into the ranks of the multi-millionaires.

Prior to my retirement at age 38, my investment portfolio only beat the return on the S&P500 by about 1% per year over the previous decade. Living frugally and saving a large portion of my salary (50% of my gross salary the last 3 or 4 years I was working) had much more to do with being able to retire early rather than extraordinary investment returns.

intercst

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us