The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/cliff-wrote-at-your-age-and-with-a-roth-ira-i-25165432.aspx

Subject:  Re: Portfolio Allocation for age 35 Date:  2/13/2007  1:51 AM
Author:  craigflannagan Number:  55801 of 75809

cliff wrote:

At your age, and with a Roth IRA, I wonder if you need CCE and fixed income. CCE should not be in an IRA where it's inaccessible. At your age, I would just use a Vanguard Extended Market Index Fund or something like that. Don't forget to have a cash fund outside the IRA, however.

D'oh, you're right *slaps forehead*. CCE and fixed income in Roth IRA.. doesn't make much sense now that I think about it, ha.

This however brings up more questions for me. I've been looking at various "recommended portfolio allocations" all day. When the portfolio allocation shows something like this: 65% equities, 20% fixed income, and 15% CCE.. is it usually referring to both retirement/non-retirement accounts, or one or the other? Now that you got me thinking.. I would imagine it should be referring to both retirement/non-retirement accounts, am I correct? (with a good portion of equities in retirement accounts, a smaller portion of equities and all of CCE/fixed income in non-retirement accounts)

Don't worry about "catching up". You are miles ahead of most folks.

Really? That's pretty encouraging to hear.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us