The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/also-you-say-you-are-going-to-invest-60-in-25166016.aspx

Subject:  Re: Portfolio Allocation for age 35 Date:  2/13/2007  9:16 AM
Author:  craigflannagan Number:  55809 of 75890

Also, you say you are going to invest 60% in stocks. Do you have a lot of experience picking stocks? This is a time consuming and risky way to invest your money. Since you are just starting out, it would make more sense to work on building a diversified portfolio of low cost mutual funds.

Yes, I'm no stranger to picking stocks. I also subscribe to the MI (Mechanical Investing) concept with pretty good success rate. I know that some people are very opinionated about MI in general, but this is a portfolio allocation discussion :)

I'm not sure I like the idea of building the portfolio consisting mainly of mutual funds. This means I am in danger of being overdiversified and my returns will diminish (end up being closer to something like the S&P 500, if not under). But if I wanted to put my entire portfolio into mutual funds, I would probably have went with Janus' "Smart Growth Portfolio" option instead.

Remember, I'm building this portfolio to maximize "capital growth" which means I embrace higher risk at this point of my life. I also expect the portfolio to outperform S&P 500 index. I guess I should have mentioned that I have had some investing experience. It's not a question of if I'm comfortable with picking stocks (I am), it's a question of if I'm comfortable with my portfolio allocation (I am somewhat, but I value other people's feedback.)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us