The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/when-you-glibly-talk-about-market-timing-and-25171795.aspx

Subject:  Re: Portfolio Allocation for age 35 Date:  2/14/2007  10:33 AM
Author:  craigflannagan Number:  55828 of 76398

When you glibly talk about market timing and stock picking, it sounds like hubris to me.

db

"Marketing timing"? LOL. I guess if you could call it that.

When one says "market timing", usually I associate it with tryng to time market for short-term fluctuations.

What I was referring to is when we are in prolonged bear market - as in declining for consecutive months over a good length of time. Since I will be making regular monthly contributions, I felt it'd be more Foolish to put the contributions into fixed-income-type funds, and once the bull market comes back (again, this is determined over periods of months, not looking at daily charts), I'll resume monthly contributions toward equities portion of the portfolio.

I should've made this clear from the beginning - the fact that I was referring to where I should put monthly contributions toward. I was not referring to moving around assests that already are invested and in place (which I believe Delta was referring to). Do this long enough (put monthly contributions toward a certain area that I normally would not in bull markets) and the portfolio allocation does change over time. This is what I meant.

Now, I have to wonder if you have any real advice to share as everybody else except for you have done, or are you more content sitting behind the screen like a little keyboard warrior throwing verbal jabs?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us