The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

CAPS / CAPS Feedback

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/diversifying-minimum-6-stocks-across-25173039.aspx

Subject:  Re: CAPS is not meant to be a mirror of performa Date:  2/14/2007  1:28 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  4901 of 8091

...diversifying (minimum 6 stocks) across different industries...

That's the tricky bit. I don't know about you, but I'm not that familiar with 6 different industries. I know semis quite well (that's where I work), and I understand some other tech areas. Do I know groceries? I don't even like grocery shopping! Do I know pharma? Evidently not (I invested in Zila thinking their toludene blue cancer detection thing would be big...it still isn't off the ground). How about clothes? I had a discussion with a lady here at TMF that convinced me I'm clueless in that area also.

I could buy into these industries, but it would be comparable to roulette for me. Heck, my pick list shows my bias. The only weird stuff there are the home builders and maintenance-related companies because the market had cooled off so I thought they'd dip (and that was the extent of my analysis or understanding of their businesses).

1poorguy (stuck in tech because that's what he knows)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us