The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-volunteer-at-a-local-food-bank-bagging-a-weeks-25186233.aspx

Subject:  Re: Future government spending on retirement Date:  2/17/2007  8:05 AM
Author:  DorothyM Number:  2184 of 59211

I volunteer at a local food bank, bagging a weeks worth of food and giving the bags out. While it's possible to live off what's in the bag, I sure wouldn't want to. Most of the folks who get the bags of food are single mothers who work at very low paying jobs. I was a little surprised, but virtually all of the folks have some type of job.,/i.

I've volunteered at a local food pantry (will start again in April when I retire).

100 tickets are handed out at 7am on Saturdays. Ticket holders return at 10am and line up in order by ticket number to receive a bag which theoretically gives one meal for a family of 4:

Bag of pasta or rice,
can of tuna (6 oz) or similar protein source,
can of fruit,
can of vegetable,
package of dry milk to make one quart.

Every week more than 100 people show up for the 100 bags.

There is, indeed, no such thing as a free lunch. Anyone asking for/accepting such help pays a prize, even though it's not a monetary price.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us