The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-sirtas-in-my-case-dw-and-i-will-receive-about-25188595.aspx

Subject:  Re: Are Americans saving too much for retirement Date:  2/18/2007  11:09 AM
Author:  rainphakir Number:  2276 of 61422

Hi SirTas
In my case, DW and I will receive about 30k in Social Security. This does not seem "adequate" to me.

My budget spreadsheet shows that I've spent about $22,000 in any given year since 2003, to maintain my mortgage, insurance, taxes, food, vehicle, basic household maintenace, and medical expenses.

I consider this a reasonable estimate of my NEEDS. I suspect I could cut this by about $8,000. It would be tight, but I did it in 2001-2002.

As for what I WANT - like you, I WANT more. But do I HAVE to have it order to 'retire'? No.

In 1997, I put together a 'plan' that included a detailed description of what I considered 'basic needs' and the $$ required to support that lifestyle. I estimated, on top of that, the things I considered 'wants', and the $$ needed to meet those goals.

I estimated that $36,000 would meet my basic needs as well as my minimum 'luxury goals'. To meet ALL my luxury goals would require about $50,000/yr.

CAVEAT - The cost of medical care insurance has increased since then... so my estimate may be a bit outdated. Although, ironically, my job provided 'medical insurance' stipend is today within a few dollars of that in 1997. ($297/mo vs $320/mo)

The retirement calculators NEVER give me the same info that my self-created spreadsheet gives me. I control the 'assumptions' in my spread sheet, therefore I trust my spreadsheet more than the calculators.

fwiw
ralph

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us