The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/solid-observation-in-addition-to-hopefully-not-25188629.aspx

Subject:  Re: Are Americans saving too much for retirement Date:  2/18/2007  11:28 AM
Author:  ogrecat Number:  2279 of 59690

Solid observation. In addition to hopefully not having a mortgage, you won't need to build retirement/investment accounts after you retire, because presumably you've already done that. I've never understood retirement calculators that are based on salary rather than spending. There's what I earn, and then there's what I need to maintain my lifestyle. In retirement, all I need is what it takes to maintain my lifestyle, which is much less than my annual earnings during my pre-retirement years. Anyway, I thought this was a very useful observation.

I took an early retirement offer because I figured out I could live on 1/3 of my earnings. I'm living comfortably on my pension & haven't touched retirement accounts or other savings.

Heck, last year I was still adding to savings.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us