The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotfor-most-people-that-is-just-not-possible-25188959.aspx

Subject:  Re: Are Americans saving too much for retirement Date:  2/18/2007  2:07 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  2311 of 56741

"For most people that is just not possible.
I'm not physically able to walk all the way into town and then drag groceries home on my back. "

MOst of the people in NYC do not own a car.

The grocery stores deliver to your apartment door!.....you buy them, go home, and they show up 20 minutes later.

That is millions and millions without a car. Same for Boston and many in Miami. My friend in Chi does not own a car. she can borrow one from her sister to go visit her mom in a rest home, or go with her sister. She lives within walking distance to the 'el'.

Lots of folks in Dallas don't have a car - there is good mass transit there. Same for Wash DC.

In the suburbs, it is tough, but there are areas here where folks ride public transport to work. Now a light rail line to downtown and other business areas.

ever hear of car pooling? My mom lived in FL during the winter..she had a car, but usually carpooled to the grocery store with someone, or they drove her car. Two miles each way.

Lots of older folks give up cars. There are 'elder shuttles' that go around and pick up folks, take them to Walmart, then load the groceries and deliver them and groceries to their front door. Also take them to doc appointments. Another shuttle on a different day picks up folks wanting to go to 'the mall' and returns them a few hours later (movie theatre, eating out, etc).

Depending upon where you chose to live, you many not 'need' a car.

t.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us