The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlt-i-have-de-facto-quotretiredquot-25191203.aspx

Subject:  Re: Are Americans saving too much for retirement Date:  2/19/2007  11:15 AM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  2385 of 59765

<<
I have de facto "retired" myself in the sense that I do not take as much work as is offered to me so that I can do the parenting thing and I will probably take in a little less than $50,000 this year.

>>

That was a really excellent post on how you have comne to reevaluate and redirect your spending to achieve an improvement in your life.

I've had periods where I was working myself to death. Saving lots of money, but doing harm to myself.

Trading unnecessary spending for more time away from work is a choice that more people should probably consider. We tend to get 'way too good at working after a while, and work can become the easy thing to do, but can become harmful.

I was great to be able to see how you improved your life by reducing spending and working. I'd like to see more people consider those as possibly fruitful ways to live tyheir lives.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us