The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-have-modified-our-habits-a-bit-the-one-big-25191421.aspx

Subject:  Re: Are Americans saving too much for retirement Date:  2/19/2007  12:03 PM
Author:  AngelMay Number:  2396 of 61946

We have modified our habits a bit. The one big thing we do now is that we never hit the fast food drivethroughs - period. We eat out twice a month at a nice restaurant (the kids love it because the place is full of plants and fountains). I order off the senior citizen menu, the 9 year old orders off the kid's menu and we throw scraps to the baby. All are happy and the tab for twice a month is about half of what we were spending before at lousy restaurants. Plus the kids have a chance to put linen napkins in their laps and practice manners.

This is just TOO cool, Sissy!

Part of the probblem is emotional-mental - really getting through to yourself that it is a WANT not a NEED. I feel like I NEED books. But I wouldn't die if I didn't have books. And in any case with a little creative effort I don't have to forego books. If I ever decide that I can't afford Friends of the Library I will go to the public library.

Anyway I like the tradeoff - less money but a richer life.

For you, books ARE a need! Never give them up, Sissy!
We all deserve some of our special needs.

AM

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us