The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotbut-books-are-pretty-inexpensive-if-you-shop-25192999.aspx

Subject:  Re: Are Americans saving too much for retirement Date:  2/19/2007  6:33 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  2461 of 60442

"But books are pretty inexpensive if you shop the used shops and libraries.'

My friend in NY and wife are 'book scouts'....got to dozens of book sales and public library sales and flea markets. Look for first editions, special cookbooks and other things that dealers pay them to look for - for special requests...pays the gas money for their trips usually.

I give him a subject or 2 or 3 of interest at the moment, and he fills up a box with $1 bargain books on the subject in no time. I either pick them up (once a year when I get 100 or 200 lbs of books) or he'll mail them down to me.

The local library here is excellent, and they can get just about anything on inter library loan. Some really really obscure stuff (like 150 year old techical books), and other newer things that aren't of enough general interest.

I occasionally buy some books at 'Half Price Books' a local chain here, but not so much anymore..... but check the bargain $1 and $2 shelf. Can get the books at the library for free.

t.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us