The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Options - You Make the Call

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlthow-many-option-trades-are-you-willing-to-25217624.aspx

Subject:  Re: Optimal Position Size Date:  2/25/2007  10:32 PM
Author:  TMFHamp Number:  7954 of 11172

<<How many option trades are you willing to do at a time? If you do more than one, do you balance them with some being bullish and some bearish ?>>

Hi Steve,

My general allocation is 40% bullish (stock vertical spreads), 20% bearish (stock vertical spreads), 30% market neutral (index calendars and index iron condors), and 10% volatility (i.e., stock straddles).

I always want a combination of different directional-bias trades because you are never certain what direction the market will go. Since the market goes up 67%, on average, I am willing to have twice as many bullish trades as bearish, however.

I also try to spread my trades among three separate expiration months so that I am not betting everything on the one month that is extreme in direction and/or volatility. This is not always possible, however, if I can't find enough trades to put on.

Lastly, I am theoretically willing to bet all of my trading capital at once (100%) if I find enough promising trades. In reality, the greatest percentage of my trading capital that has been invested in option trades at one time has been 70%.

Jim
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us