The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/meanwhile-gore-has-an-energy-hog-20-room-repeat-25228102.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Gore do as I say, not as I do Date:  2/28/2007  8:19 AM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  2959 of 59802

Meanwhile, Gore has an energy hog 20 room, repeat 20 room, home. That isn't too green. While Bush has a very energy efficient home. Both are 100+ years old, so that 'excuse' won't work for Gore.

Gore's home is also his business address, and he has an actual business there. It is also his wife's business address, and she has an actual business there. There is also a security office, presumably left over from his days as Vice President, and according to one news report I saw, there is security there. (I do not know if that is government provided or not.) One might imagine that a multi-million dollar business would require a couple of offices, conference room, storage area, perhaps even guest quarters, no? So the "20, repeat 20" dwindles pretty quickly if you extract the business(es).

I'm not sure what you're referring to, here about Bush's house being "over 100 years old."

Bush and his wife had David Heymann, then an associate professor of architecture at the University of Texas at Austin, design a 10,000 ft² (930 m²) honey-colored native limestone single-level home on the site. Over half of that area is from a 10 foot (3 m) wide limestone porch that encircles the house. The house was built by members of a religious community from nearby Elm Mott, Texas and wasn't completed until after his inauguration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_Chapel_Ranch

Unless Bush and his wife are more than 100 years old, and the designer of the ranch is more than 100 years old, and he was inaugurated more than 100 years ago (it does feel like it, doesn't it?) it would seem that his house cannot be "over 100 years old", eh? BTW, the footprint of the Bush home does not include the security building. Or the bathhouse, which is heated.

So let's add up Bush's total bill, including the offices where he works, against the Gore's, and the offices where they work. Then, perhaps, you have something to talk about. Of course since the Gore's home is historic, and in a more densely populated area, I am not surprised that they don't have geothermal heating, or solar panels (themselves) on the roof of their historic home. Maybe that's why they buy green power from elsewhere, which seems a reasonable solution. Except to screaming partisans, of course. You wouldn't know anybody like that, would you?

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us