The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-worked-in-our-local-hospice-for-about-10-years-25228469.aspx

Subject:  Re: Murder/suicide a solution to long-term care? Date:  2/28/2007  9:52 AM
Author:  joseph714 Number:  2962 of 58834

I worked in our local hospice for about 10 years, treated many who struggled with these inner tugs & pulls as they went through extraordinary pain levels.

Our medical model in the west is to not Rx analgesics that really get at the pain levels experienced.

The reason is the notion of turning the patient into a junky.

Rather laughable if it wasn't such a sad plan. After all we are talking about terminal patients who in my experience would trade becomming a junky just to get the pain to subside for one minute.

Jack Kavorkian came up to our neck of the woods on the request of a local very well known & wealthy fellow who had had enough. In the office the lead nurse took a tele call asking that she stay away that day since he didn't want the hospice group to get negative publicity or litigation.

We all had been amazed at this fellows courage through his intense pain & drawn out death.

He died peacefully that day, Dr. K. did his thing, the tv cameras & the outraged all went nuts. At the hospice office, most everyone was very grateful that this took place.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us