The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltlt-the-cost-of-moving-would-offset-for-25270834.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cost of Living Comparison Date:  3/10/2007  5:46 PM
Author:  NewPenny Number:  1051 of 1489

<<< The cost of moving would offset, for a time, any savings you might make through moving. There's also the psychic cost of moving, the upheaval and the stress of resettling. You probably have a support network of friends and neighbors in Tucson and it will take a while to replace it in a new place. >>>

DorothyM,

All excellent points. For me, moving wouldn't be too bad. I live in an RV, so it's almost as simple as just untethering and filling the tank before hitting the road. The cost wouldn't be as much as a more traditional brick&mortar move, and could even be budgetted as a vacation. There would also be no hurry, since I'm home where ever I am, so sightseeing along the way is a real treat.

As for the stress and emotional upheaval, that's not a problem for me. I got used to picking up and resettling in the AF -- having to find living quarters and arriving not knowing a soul. I actually get a charge from the experience, so the psychic "cost" is actually a benefit.

I do have a wonderful support network here in Tucson, and have decided to stay put for now.

I like to explore my options every few years to see if anywhere else has become a much better deal. I can't supplement my income much, so the cost of living helps me stretch it as far as possible. Also, since I'm retired and all my income is disability benefits, I get paid no matter where I go. I'm sure that not having to look for a job before hand makes a huge difference in the stress department.

Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate the help in bouncing this idea around.

Namasté,

Penny
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us