The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-never-recommend-putting-a-lot-of-money-25292506.aspx

Subject:  Re: Annuities vs Investments? Date:  3/16/2007  9:47 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  56289 of 75540

I would never recommend putting a lot of money into any single stock, annuity, fund or anything else. Diversification is very important, IMHO.

That said, personally -- and this is NOT a recommendation to anyone who does not do his or her own very careful analysis -- I would NOT get into an annuity. I've seen other sources who agree with that. In fact, AARP recently ran a piece on them and did not make them seem very positive.

In my own case (again, MY case, strictly), within my IRA, I have some money invested in the following dividend-paying stocks and funds.

BGF
CLM
CZN
EGLE
HTE
PVX

Those should provide me with an AVERAGE 12 percent return (dividends and/or bond returns) for this year, not including any growth in stock price or extra returns.

Please keep in mind that I am NOT a professional money manager, but I do enjoy tracking my IRA investments, have done so for several years, and rather actively monitor what happens to them. I therefore make changes from time to time, as information suggests. Those who have neither the time nor inclination to do that may well want to ignore what I suggest.

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us