The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Catholics Behaving Badly

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/he-was-holding-one-host-up-and-i-thought-he-was-25308624.aspx

Subject:  Re: I did not pay attention in Catechism class Date:  3/20/2007  6:14 PM
Author:  crocket838 Number:  427 of 440

He was holding one host up, and I thought he was muttering under his breath (but I was kind of far away). He stood there for a minute or two, and then he turned around, went back up the steps and put the chalice and hosts back in the tabernacle. He proceeded to finish mass, and give the final blessing to the deceased. At which point, one of her sons said something to him, and then they exchanged words for a moment. The priest then said to the congregation "I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding about communion. The priest offers himself to those who present themselves to receive. He does not invite the congregation to take communion."

Do the sons go to church?

Plenty of times, the parents are the "good" Catholics and the children have lapsed. Maybe they weren't sure on what to do? The rest of the mourners are waiting on the family to go first.
When my uncle died, even tho he didn't go to church on a regular basis, his sons had a funeral mass for him. The priest did look a little perturbed when none of them received communion, but the rest of us did go up.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us