The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Motley Fool Global Gains / GGM: Special Event

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-shy-newcomers-could-you-describe-the-things-25329417.aspx

Subject:  Re: What to Look for Date:  3/26/2007  12:26 PM
Author:  TMFOtter Number:  29 of 111

For shy newcomers, could you describe the things you look for when investing in a company that's situated outside the US?

Great question. We get this a lot.

To me there are a few factors that I include on a macro level. Understand, though, that I don't require them, just that the fewer in evidence the cheaper the stock has to be.

I look for a company that operates in a market that offers some semblance of protection for outside shareholders. The biggeswt clue is whether the home stock market has a central registry for shareholders. I look for countries that are actually emerging -- there's no need to invest in countries where capital tends to disappear down a rathole.

Those are the biggest things. As company-specific investors, though, I'll give back some top-level considerations if the company itself offers better protection intrinsically.

Bill Mann
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us