The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-biggest-issue-will-be-healthcare-costs-my-25399952.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirment issues? Date:  4/16/2007  5:23 PM
Author:  decath Number:  4634 of 62047

My biggest issue will be healthcare costs. My plan is to retire I plan to retire around the age of 55 which is just about 20 years from now. I planned my savings rates accordingly and have even used a conservative rate of return when projecting, but I have no idea how much healthcare will cost n 20 years.

Donna

It will be for many of us. Using intercst's GenX calculater, with my income growing modestly and with 10% investment growth, I can most likely FIRE in 8 years when I'm 53.

The big "IF" is health care costs.

My personal plan to combat the lion's share of health care costs is to be as healthy as physically possible. As a vegan, who eats 85% of of his food raw (with DW struggling to follow along), the risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and just about every other life destroying diseases is very low.

I plan on getting a "high deductable catastrophic" health insurance policy and using some of my investments to meet the deductable if necessary in case of an accident.

Intercst recommended a plan a few years back on REHP to invest that portion in health care stocks. I took that to heart and have a minor position in a few. So far, so good.

Anyhoots! That's one idea and approach.

decath
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us