The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/dividend-stocks-in-your-roth-or-in-a-taxable-acc-25409290.aspx

Subject:  Dividend stocks in your Roth or in a taxable acc Date:  4/19/2007  1:29 AM
Author:  PavlosGR Number:  56919 of 76398

Hello,

even though this is my first posting ever in a MF board, I have been reading some really interesting stuff particularly on retirement issues and strategies. I am also a subscriber of the Stock Advisor newsletter.
My question: can somebody help me understand in what kind of account would it be better to buy dividend paying (think the MF Income Investor kind here) stocks? Would they be better placed in a Roth or in a taxable account? I have read articles both in Yahoo Finance and here in MF that take opposite sides.
In case my personal situation would make the answer any easier:
I max out my 457 plan (that's almost identical to a 401k or 403b), contribute the max $4,000 in a Roth investing exclusivily in a Vanguard 2030 Target Retirement fund and have occasionally some money left that I invest in a taxable account (stock like JNJ,PG, USB). I am in the 25% tax bracket. Roughly 20 years before retirement.

I would appreciate any answers and/or references to links with relevant content.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us