The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/fleg-one-of-things-i-would-have-talked-about-is-25500410.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Buenos Aires Date:  5/16/2007  5:32 PM
Author:  Investor22201 Number:  11323 of 19257

Fleg: One of things I would have talked about is living in an unstable environment--which can describe most Latin American cities. However, I live in the Palermo district of BA and we didn't know about the problems in Constitucion train station until we read about them in the papers. No glowing sky or the like.

I was visiting Buenos Aires during their 2001 financial crisis and while I can't say life went on like normal then, it wasn't impacting on many aspects of life. Of course ATMs didn't work then and hopefully you had brought dollars with you or had hidden them under the mattress.

In a way it's like reading about crime--someone gets murdered on a street coner and everyone gets cautious. Buenos Aires despite the stories remains one of the safest cities in Latin America. It's not as safe as it used to be unfortunately.

By the way I'm redoing a house not too far from the Constitucion train station--maybe six blocks from there and I'm happy to report no problems in my soon to be neighborhood.

Mike
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us