The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Folly in 50 States and the World / Folly in Indiana

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-how-annoying-is-the-indianan-bureau-of-motor-25514868.aspx

Subject:  Re: Moving to Indiana Date:  5/21/2007  4:46 PM
Author:  Jim2B Number:  497 of 531

So how annoying is the Indianan bureau of motor vehicles in that respect?

Rich,

I moved to Indiana ~3.5 years ago.

BMV workers (at least the ones in my branch) are pretty cheerful & helpful.

HOWEVER, the written test to get your license is exceedingly STUPID. By stupid I mean they ask you all sorts of thing you never need to know (what's the maximum per axle weight of a truck, what's the maximum total weight of a truck, what's the maximum length, width, & height of a truck, what's size of motor is the largest permitted for a "moped" type vehicle, etc.). All sorts of things I've never seen on any other state's written test ARE on Indiana's test. It's madness I tell you!

Indianapolis weather is on par for the rest of the mid-west. Hot summers, cold winters, & violent storms in the spring. We *can* get tons of mosquitos but haven't so far this year.

Land is much cheaper, taxes are (MUCH) lower, we have no emissions standards in my county, no recycling either.

Oddly we have more 24 hour stores, pharmacies, etc. in my rural town than the Boston suburbs to which I have traveled on business over the last year.

Culturally, Indianapolis has nice attractions (symphony, children's choir, museums, fine dining, etc.). However, if you're living in Carmel the next closest cities with significant cultural attractions (Cincinnati, Louisville, Dayton) are 3+ hours away. Of course Chicago's only ~4 hours away and that should have just about anything you might desire.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us