The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Everyday Ethics

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-is-that-why-is-that-sasha-and-other-25531802.aspx

Subject:  Re: swanning the boards... Date:  5/26/2007  4:57 PM
Author:  mycache101 Number:  1451 of 5056

what IS that? WHY is that?

Sasha, ( and other EE'ers)

I've found the hostility strange. I am new to online discussion boards and have found it to be somewhat intimidating.
I am a pretty easy-going person, and usually talk fairly casually to my friends. I don't worry if my words come out perfect. The worst thing that happens is I will laugh at my own lack of grace, or have to apologize for a dumb foot-in-mouth comment...
Here? It's different. There have been times I've been surprised that someone would go out of their way to pick apart my words or worse.
To what end does that serve a purpose, I wonder?
Luckily there are a few places, like EE that people generally are well behaved. (Sounds like I'm referring to a daycare center, or the 'loony bin:)(* insert a page of disclaimers.)

I have an acquaintance that manages a local business and one of her ex-employee's got online and said horrible things about her. It is like High School all over again, but with very grown-up, real world consequences. This hurt her feelings, to say the least. It is very hard for her to reconcile with the nature of online gossip. It seems to propagate itself.

I have no answers or brilliant insights, just similar questions.

Julie

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us