The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Everyday Ethics

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/7-age-a-lot-of-the-quotmean-and-rudequot-25534635.aspx

Subject:  Re: swanning the boards... Date:  5/28/2007  11:23 AM
Author:  chkNYC Number:  1458 of 5042

7. Age. A lot of the "mean and rude" posters are 24-45 years old, and a lot of the "hurt or offended" posters are over 50. Maybe the young don't have manners nowadays, maybe the old are too touchy, I don't know.

I agree with much of what you posted, Piney, however, I do have to make one comment about #7 (above).

It might be true that the "over 50's" are more easily "hurt or offended". Who knows why. Maybe we've gone through a bit more than the "under 50's" and therefore don't find some of the same things funny. Maybe we are "too touchy". Maybe our sense of humor is just more sophisticated. Could be any, all or none of the above.

But that's not my comment.

While I'm not "hurt or offended", I do wish that you wouldn't refer to the "over 50's" as "the old". I'm 59 and I certainly don't think of myself as "old". I may be older than someone who is 24-45 years old but I'm not "old".

(OK, maybe I'm a bit touchy!!)

Christina

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us