The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-may-make-sense-to-add-him-to-the-card-for-25536209.aspx

Subject:  Re: Credit Card for College Freshman Date:  5/29/2007  4:50 AM
Author:  RedFi Number:  253730 of 308782

It may make sense to add him to the card for emergencies, but if you want to give him a set amount for day-to-day expenses, you may just want to deposit the funds in a checking account. That's what my parents did for 'fun money' when I was in college. I supplemented the balance with money from my own on-campus job. If he opens an account with TCF, he will likely get a check card, which he'll probably use like a credit card so you can ask to see his statements and track where his money goes. (FYI - I currently have a TCF account and I'm very happy with them - good interest rates and comprehensive account statements. I'm not sure what their deals for students are like.)

I guess I'm leery about putting him on a card for more than just emergencies. One of my old roommates in college was put on her parent's credit card, and during sophomore year she managed to charge $3,000 in one month alone! She managed this even though we lived in the dorms and she had a full meal plan. I'm sure that today she can't even remember what she bought. (I do remember that there was a beaded dress that she couldn't even fit into!) Never underestimate the ability of college students to be complete idiots with money.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us