The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Everyday Ethics

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sasha-just-my-opinion-of-course-but-i-think-25544087.aspx

Subject:  Re: swanning the boards... Date:  5/31/2007  12:52 PM
Author:  legalwordwarrior Number:  1473 of 5021

Sasha,

Just my opinion, of course, but I think there are a lot of people out there who,because people don't know them, think that they can make any wisecrack that they want, regardless of whether it hurts or offends other people. I mean, you probably wouldn't say something hurtful to someone if you knew they were your next door neighbor off-line. But when you think that they are hundreds of miles away it is easy to lash out with no fear of repercussions.

On one of the boards, and I'll decline to mention which one. There is a poster who apparently has quite a bit of professional training, but the overall attitude this poster displays is so riddled with condensation and rudeness, when the poster actually wants to post something sincere, there is a need to put in a disclaimer! I find it easiest not to respond to such posts.

Many people have a dry wit that borders on sarcastic, I find myself in this group quite often. Part of the problem then becomes tone. Things that would be taken as a joke if spoken aloud, don't always come across that way in print.

I try to take the advice of my late grandmother who said if you don't want it splashed in tomorrows front page, don't say it. Good advice, not always followed <grin>

LWW
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us