The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Everyday Ethics

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-seems-to-me-that-most-people-develop-sarcasm-25546118.aspx

Subject:  Re: swanning the boards... Date:  5/31/2007  10:24 PM
Author:  Levka98 Number:  1483 of 5016

It seems to me that most people develop sarcasm as a defensive mechanism

LWW

On these boards, it is used when there is nothing to defend. The sarcastic one will add nothing to the original post; he/she just rips into the poster. I think these people have been ignored in life and take it out on posters on the internet. It's like they're bullies, and I deem bullies to be cowards as they always pick on someone they deem to be weak. I don't know why, but I imagine the sarcastic poster as obese, dirty, chomping on a donut or pizza and unsanitary. Homeless people look better than what I'm imagining.

A former boyfriend said something to me that was hurtful and I called him on it. He said he was only being funny, but I told him I saw no humor in what he said. He apologized. I told him I'd rather he not voice comments that were hurtful. Sometimes people need to feel superior by putting down another person. Hmmm, he's a "former" boyfriend. Guess that sums it up.

Regards,

Levka.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us