The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-debra-does-your-employer-match-25552216.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax planning for 1st-time homeowner Date:  6/3/2007  1:29 PM
Author:  NuvoRiche Number:  94749 of 121585

Thanks Debra.

Does your employer match contributions on an annual or paycheck basis? In many 401K plans, maxing out 401K contributions early results in a loss of some employer matching. Are you really able to contribute your entire bonus to the 401K? It depends on the plan. My employer plan limits contributions to 16% per paycheck.

Good points. No matching contributions unfortunately. I am aware of the matching limits that would change the strategy considerably, but they are not applicable in my case, I wish they were! I am allowed to contribute the entire amount of the bonus, up to the IRS limit, in one swoop. I did this successfully last year.

Deductible taxes (for federal) include real estate, state and local taxes. Does the $4,500 estimate for taxes include all of these?

My state has no income tax, and local - well, I don't really know for sure yet. I move to the new area in a few weeks, but I don't think it's going to be much different than where I am now. Where could I go to check on local taxes in the new area?

Did you pay any points for the mortgage?

Yes - I don't recall how many, and all the paperwork is at work. It came out to about $1200 though. Good point about including the points, I'll have to recalculate with that included.

You don't list a ROTH IRA as an option, so I am assuming that your income does not allow it.

I am actually eligible for ROTH contributions as well. However I already have significant retirement holdings, started 10 yrs ago, in a Traditional IRA, and every time I do the math about converting to a Roth it comes to neutral advantage for me to do so. So my Traditional IRA contributions have now been replaced by the 401(k) contributions, and I enjoy the tax deduction from that. Any leftover monies can go into a Roth. I did not do it this past year, because we were accumulating cash for the house downpayment.

Thanks for your comments. This is my first time down this financial path.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us