The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks T / The Knot, Inc.

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-mah35-i-am-relatively-new-to-investing-to-but-25552293.aspx

Subject:  Re: Why the ups and downs Date:  6/3/2007  2:00 PM
Author:  jmel2cruz Number:  111 of 127

Hi MAH35,

I am relatively new to investing to, but have been following the Knot for about a year. The company has been growing at a very fast rate and seems to have tapped into the wedding industrial complex. The company has a bright future. But when the stock was priced at 30, the stock had a price to earnings ratio close to 100. Basically that means the stock was very expensive, most large cap stocks trade with P/E ratios of 15 - 25. The reason it was priced so high is that investors think that this company will grow fast and for a long time.

Unfortunately for you the company's latest finantial release indicated that the growth of the company had slowed over the last quarter. This spooked investors, many of whom decided to sell because they could take a nice profit when the stock was up at 30.

So I guess what you have to decide is will this company continue to grow as it has over the past several years, or was this last quarter an indication that the Knot will no longer grow at a fast rate. Several things that you can consider are, who is the competition? is the industry as a whole slowing down? a couples going to other sites for their wedding planning?

It tough when a stock you bought drops suddenly. But if you still feel confident in the company, this is a chance to buy the stock because it is now much cheaper.

I hope this helps.

jmel
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us