The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/telegraph-in-my-previous-post-i-was-not-25562620.aspx

Subject:  Re: Income Planning Assumption Date:  6/6/2007  1:05 PM
Author:  iamdb Number:  57797 of 75385

telegraph,

In my previous post, I was not addressing withdrawal rate. I clearly stated that if by income the OP meant expected return on investment from a portfolio of moderate risk, he could find such estimates at vanguard.com. Most other posters interpreted OP's question of income to refer to what he could expect to draw from a portfolio of moderate risk, just as you did. I am aware of the inflation adjusted withdrawal studies.

Regarding the predictive value of history, absent other information, a long history is the best we have. One can always point to worse case scenarios and say it could be worse in the future, but then the logical extension is to hide your money (in gold) along with weapons of choice, because who knows what catastrophic event might occur. The withdrawal studies are based on modeling historical expectations.

db
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us