The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lol-so-because-i-said-6-instead-of-59-this-25570560.aspx

Subject:  Re: Income Planning Assumption Date:  6/8/2007  2:08 PM
Author:  jrr7 Number:  57827 of 74759

LOL, so because I said 6% instead of 5.9%, this is the reason we chose to quibble?

You didn't say "6%" or even "around 6%". You said "6-7%" which is both quantitatively and qualitatively different -- it suggests that it's easy to find contracts paying over 6% and with a little bit of searching you can find contracts paying almost 7%.

Of course in a different interest rate environment it might be correct to say 6-7%, but not now.

If you're not talking about specific examples, you shouldn't use falsely specific numbers.

The point was that there were options to get guarantees that accounted for inflation.

It was not clear from your post that your main point was that options to get guarantees were available. It sure looked to me like your main point was that it was easy to find annuities with these guarantees paying over 6%.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us