The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / TIAA-CREF

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-looks-like-they-offer-a-brokerage-service-25593297.aspx

Subject:  Re: Buying Bonds: Brokerage option Date:  6/15/2007  6:19 PM
Author:  Lokicious Number:  45 of 57

It looks like they offer a brokerage service where you could invest in stocks and other things outside of their funds. However, with their 403b accounts I don't see that as an option.

I think this is not offered by all their employee plans.

I discovered a few months ago that when I looked under transfer options within my account, there were several new funds (including multiple index funds for slice and dice) and something that appears to be a brokerage option. The brokerage for TIAA-CREF outside retirement accounts lets you buy bonds and get CDs, so my guess is the same options would be available within this mysterious brokerage option within the retirement account. (I can do better than TIAA-Traditional for supplemental with individual bonds and CDs, no questions asked, even after commission).

I haven't tried transferring money in and seeing if that gets me somewhere. When I click on the option with no money, I get nothing.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us