The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-are-your-thoughts-25789255.aspx

Subject:  What are your thoughts? Date:  8/13/2007  7:48 PM
Author:  IWANTSOMEGREEN Number:  58855 of 76398

What up Fools

I'm 22, a recent college grad, and basically don't know where to start as far as investing. This is what I'm thinking...Feel free to lend some advice.

I have opened two accounts with Sharebuilder. One individual and one Roth IRA. I'll start with the Roth. I am thinking about putting 1,000 in the Roth right now, and 250 month to get to the max 4,000. Sharebuilder automatic investments are $4, and they charge a $25 IRA mainteance fee. Now, if I subscribe to the Standard monthly plan (which costs $12 a month, but is offered for $99 for a year subscription) I get 6 free automatic trades a month, plus they waive the $25 maintenance fee. After the 6 free auto trades they cost $2. Having the Standard subscription also gives a little more access to some tools and what not. Finally, I really don't have a clue in what I need to put in the Roth. I'm thinking VTI, SPY, AGG. Should I be more risky?

I have about 1,500 a month to invest (1250 after the IRA). The small biz I work for currently doesn't offer a 401k, so what other retirement options do I have? I also want some money in some higher risk/reward situations? FYI- The 25 dollar IRA fee is also waived if I'm subscribed to the Standard program in my individual account.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us