The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / College Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-latest-quotmoneyquot-magazine-offers-some-25822762.aspx

Subject:  Re: Credit Card for Freshman Date:  8/22/2007  2:10 PM
Author:  BlueGrits Number:  2803 of 2818

The latest "Money" magazine offers some advice and, in an article titled "Send Off a Frugal Freshman" they recommend Citi's mtvU (at citi.com).

They best tip, though, is one I used with great success: buy books online instead of the campus bookstore. I regularly bought at books at half price and, for this semester, bouth Business Plan Pro for about $40 via eBay versus about $90 (plus tax) from the bookstore.

They also rag on campus dining card programs, pointing out that many meals are missed due, I guess, to things like schedules, distance, travel, etc. On the other hand, if the meals themselves are good bargains then maybe even missing some of them still results in a positive. At my undergrad school a number of meal items came from the campus ag farm so, if anything, they were probably as good as or better than a standard eatery.

Graduating in Dec. with an MBA,

BG
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us