The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/plan-to-marry-in-08-or-09-when-i-do-our-25843755.aspx

Subject:  Re: What to do with Roth IRA after I marry? Date:  8/28/2007  10:19 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  58995 of 75339

plan to marry in 08 or 09. When I do, our combined salary will be over the Roth IRA threshold, so I won't be able to contribute.

But that may not always be the case. One of you may get laid off, so you'll have a year where you can both contribute to a Roth. One of you may switch careers that has much lower pay and puts you below the threshold, so you'd be able to contribute. Congress could raise or eliminate the income limits, so you'd both be able to contribute.

I'd leave it as it is, and contribute in those years where it is possible. We've done that in my house, and so far, have been able to contribute to a Roth for 3 different years. These have been twice when I was laid off during the year, so our income was way down, and once when DH's income was way down. And it's looking like we will be able to contribute this year as well because DH is having an awful business year.

I've taken the approach that I'll put money in the Roth in any year in which we are eligible. I'd recommend doing something similar.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us