The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-experience-with-fidelity-regarding-index-funds-25881815.aspx

Subject:  Re: Big weekend decisions Date:  9/8/2007  2:42 PM
Author:  SethNC Number:  59092 of 75637

My experience with Fidelity regarding Index funds was not good. I asked about them and was pointed to 2 or 3 really weak choices.

If they're so great on Index funds, why didn't they give me more help with my allocations?

Well, there are a couple points here. The first is that I'd like to ask which 2 or 3 index funds you looked at and on what basis you determined they were weak. By definition they should be no weaker than the index they track (with the exception of the expense ratio).

The second is that, unfortunately, poor service does not affect the quality of a mutual fund.

Regarding asset allocation, we would need to know some more information to help you out with that. Age, years to retirement, level of risk aversion, etc.

A good starting point, just using Fidelity funds as an example, and assuming you have at least 15 years until you retire:

40% FSMKX (S&P 500)
30% FSEMX (Wilshire 4500)
30% FSIIX (MSCI EAFE)

With that said, I believe Vanguard does offer more specific indexing options than Fidelity -- such as small-cap index, mid-cap index, etc.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us