The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltit-is-not-now-nor-has-it-ever-been-in-25891566.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Planning Figures Date:  9/11/2007  8:49 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  1087 of 1488

<<It is not now, nor has it ever, been in officialdom's interest to report the TRUE rate -- even allowing for reasonable adjustments (not so reasonable ones too?) I for one don't believe the current rate is the low rate(s) quoted. Come on: they leave food and energy out of the "core" rate? What BS. Look at health, energy, and food costs for the past few years and tell me with a straight face that inflation is only 4 or 5%. Probably more like 10% or more. Good luck with your planning, though!

>>

Yes, I think your criticism is justified. Inflation figures caused all manner of political problems in the 1960s and 1970s, padding them is a logical response by government to avoid problems in the future.

The traditional solution of government is to inflate your way out of problems is you can ----the Democrats even ran on "free silver" and against the gold standard in 1890 or so, withy William Jennings Bryan famously procaliming that Americans should not be crucified on a "cross of gold."

We inflated away the WWII debt in the 1960s and 1970s along with the budget deficits of the time, and conveniently eliminated convertibility of the currency into "free silver" at that time as well, having already eliminated the cross of gold in 1932.

So I imagine that more inflation will inflate the dollar yet more.

But rather than try to pick a figure, I'd rather pick the investments that will allow people to fend off bouts of inflation. Stocks and real estate are good for that ----perhaps we have already seen home prices reflect the underlying inflation in the economy?

So I ask what investment assets might people buy to protect themselves from inflation?

Too bad Harvard wont sell off future college admissions or allow people to invest in the Harvard student slot which could be sold on the free market for whatever it might bring in a future year.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us