The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Relationships / Widows/Widowers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-read-widownetorg-posts-for-awhile-and-found-25904488.aspx

Subject:  Re: For Love of Christi Date:  9/15/2007  5:08 PM
Author:  RainyDayWoman Number:  257 of 274

I read widownet.org posts for awhile, and found them comforting, as well as this board and the death and grieving TMF board, which is dormant at the moment.

I also spent some time with the local widows group, but that group tended to be mostly a senior citizens group with somewhat different issues and time schedules than working folks.

A local grief counseling group, associated with hospice I think, has an annual "getting through the holidays" session for those recently bereaved. I think I went three years in a row after my DH died. As I mentioned before, I'm coming up on 14 years for that, but nevertheless the last two years have been rough, with the passing of my mother and sister, so I may go to that holiday session again this year, as the Thanksgiving to Christmas period is when it is most painfully obvious that so much of my family is gone.

Of course, sooner or later everyone joins "the club" and understands, but I have found that in the meantime an office full of younger folks who have been lucky enough to not face these issues is, for the most part, an office full of people who think one should just "deal with it and move on." Generally speaking, it's my impression that they get uncomfortable, and think I'm being morbid, if I even occasionally reminisce about those who are gone.

That said, I think I go through most of my days in an upbeat manner, and, for that matter, consider my life and memories all the richer for those who have gone before me, and happier for the memories.

"Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all!"

RDW
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us