The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thank-you-for-the-post-aj-im-already-contribute-25969858.aspx

Subject:  Re: New law needed for 401k Date:  10/6/2007  10:41 AM
Author:  mustangs100 Number:  59443 of 75381

Thank you for the post AJ

I'm already contribute IRA investing ($5000/year) .

I think in terms of incentive the companies can use other methods to keep their employees . 401k is a government approved tax deferred program that government has implemented for people to have incentive to invest for their retirement and I don't think the companies should use it as a tool to take advantage against their employees . I can understand if they don't want to match any money for new employees for certain period of time that would be their right , But in this case we are talking about allowing an employee to contribute .

As you know we live in a society in which people live mainly for today . Trillions of $$$ in debt was not just created by the "government" . There is a Good percentage of people who not only don't have much in their retirment accounts but also are in debt . Investing in 401k would not only be good for the individuals but also for the society as a whole , that's why government created 401k in the first place .

I still think at least those who are closer to the retirement age (let's say 55), should not have to wait one year before they can contribute .

Believe me it is not always the extra $$ that make people to switch jobs If for instance my company loses its contract which is very easy to do , then I be out of job . Then there are other reasons when an employee wants to leave because of abuse or other unfair treatment at work , but has to stay as a prisoner just to be able to keep the 401k . That is not right .
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us