The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/asset-allocation-for-20-years-out-25970191.aspx

Subject:  Asset Allocation for 20 years out Date:  10/6/2007  2:38 PM
Author:  folgore Number:  72 of 83

Just curious as to what percentage allocations people are using for the various TSP funds. In my case, it should be at least 20 years before I even consider retiring. I looked at the allocation percentages for the L-funds and found them too conservative, so I set mine as follows: G fund: 5%; F fund: 10%; C fund: 25%; S & I funds: 30% each.

I know one day is way too small of a period in which to make a comparison, but here's what happened yesterday: my TSP gained .87%. This beat the .84% gain of the DJIA, but lagged the S&P which was up .96%. Further, both the NASDAQ and the Russel 2000 were close to double the S&P. On a bullish day, it's hard not to look at even my modest allocations for the G fund and F fund as a drag on my TSP account performance. (Of course, on a bearish day, those allocations might keep me from losing as much as the rest of the market.)

Note, I'm new to TSP haveing started just this past summer. As an investor, however, I seriously began building an individual stock portfolio (IRA accounts included) in 1999.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us