The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-say-its-absolutely-possible-with-discipline-25971597.aspx

Subject:  Re: If HE is discouraged..... Date:  10/7/2007  12:50 PM
Author:  FoolNBlue Number:  4415 of 5069

I say it's absolutely possible with discipline. (Doubt you'll earn $100K/yr in a location that has houses in a nice part of town for $45K though). I entered the workforce full time at age 23 and may possibly retire at 38 if the stars align properly. If I wished to downscale my lifestyle, I could virtually retire now. I have enough assets today to pay off my house and bring in enough (at 4%) to pay my insurance, minor home maintenance, taxes and food. Now I'm continuing to work and save so I can better maintain my house, fund my healthcare, a vehicle, and have fun in retirement. Technically, typing this, I maybe I am FI already?

In your situation, you have a pension and significantly more assets than I started with at 23 and likely a higher initial earning potential than what I earned leaving college (my income rapidly increased during the first 5 years of my career but the rate of increase has slowed... I will likely hit 6 figures just about the time I FIRE myself). The child and the past life are "paid off" so you look in in good shape to me if you find a decent job and keep disciplined.

As a mental exercise, shave 30 years off your life... would you tell a 20/year old with $90K of investments and an inflation adjusted monthly trust fund payment of $1,300/mo (that will increase in another 15 years -social security) that he couldn't retire when he was 32? I would be pretty darn encouraged myself. As a single guy I could live off of $1,300/month if I chose too and save ALL of my earnings (minus the huge chunk the taxman would steal).

Good Luck.

FoolNBlue
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us