The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Sports / Major League Baseball

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltthe-use-of-video-to-try-and-analyze-a-specific-25974588.aspx

Subject:  Re: Isn't that illegal? It should be . . . Date:  10/8/2007  3:07 PM
Author:  gurdison Number:  34049 of 52242

<the use of video to try and analyze a specific home plate umpire during a specific game. You gloss over that distinction in your comments.>

I gloss over that because it is totally irrelevant. Everyone on both teams is free to do so. It simply doesn't matter.

When a player watches a game he sees it very differently than you or I would (witness 63 year old Briggs ability to still pick up on things from a great distance). Between that and talking with your own pitcher and asking him "what is he giving you tonight", you should have more than enough information to have a feel for that night's strike zone. If you are batting third like Ortiz often does, you will also get some first hand experience in the first inning.

The bigger issue is being ready for the pitchers stuff. How hard is he throwing? Can he get his curveball over for a strike? Is he able to mix his pitches up? On your side, how are the mechanics of your swing? Do I shorten up to get better contact? Do I go the other way if he pitches me that way? The golf comparison is valid IMO because there are probably as many elements to getting a baseball swing right as there are to getting a golf swing right. In either case if you dwell too much on analyzing too many of those elements while you are competing, it can throw you off your game leading to some very bad results.

B
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us