The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-more-you-subscribe-to-newsletters-the-fools-25979210.aspx

Subject:  Re: Index fund investing versus stock selection Date:  10/9/2007  10:01 PM
Author:  BordLyron Number:  59529 of 86144

The more you subscribe to newsletters (the Fool's included, alas), the more you trade, the more the Wise make off you, and the lower your returns.

pedorrero

I don't agree. I have subscribed to two MF newsletters (SA for over three years, HG for over two) & trading has certainly been discouraged by both. Sell recommendations are rare & well-reasoned.

For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that you already have about half of your savings going into funds (which hopefully can match market average returns), and I do believe that long-term, you can beat the market averages by selecting quality companies with the other half (If you haven't read it yet, find a copy of Peter Lynch's book: One up on Wall Street). On the other hand, I don't have the expertise or time to find those companies on my own, so I am quite happy to rely on these newsletters, which have helped me more than double market returns (granted, for a short period of time).

Finally, I echo all other respondents about the shilling of these services! It is rare, if ever, that an article doesn't end with a sophomoric "so if you want to know more about how to... try a free trial of...".

Ugh.

Byron
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us