The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/teh-goverment-does-not-tell-us-what-mortgage-or-25982083.aspx

Subject:  Re: Clinton Retirement Plan Date:  10/10/2007  5:44 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  59551 of 75401

Teh goverment does not tell us what mortgage or credit card we can sign up for do they? Why dictate my retirement future?

The government in no way dictates your retirement future. You're free to save what you like, within your financial ability to do so.

To anticipate your next dodge of my question, yes, if you didn't have to pay SS tax you'd have more to save, just as you would if you didn't have to pay so much income tax or so much for food or so many other things that are beyond your immediate control.

So, back to my question. We're talking about the entire country, not just you. What's your proposal for dealing with everybody else?

Note: "Let them fend for themselves" is an answer, but I have to note that this is pretty much the system we had when Social Security was implemented. When we look at replacing current systems it behooves us to take a look at why we have them in the first place.

Phil
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us