The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-your-thought-is-all-retirement-rules-should-be-25982665.aspx

Subject:  Re: Clinton Retirement Plan Date:  10/10/2007  9:12 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  59561 of 76078

So your thought is all retirement rules should be setup for the "REST" or lowest person in the food chain of capitalistic America? Do the rest get a different break when getting a credit card, a mortgage, a car loan?

Define everybody else? I feel your driving at the poor? Maybe not, I'm not sure.

Let me see if I can clear some of this up for you. The other posts in the thread should also help.

Our conversation began with your saying "Just get rid of SS tax and let me do my own investing."

My point is that while that approach may work out just fine for you, it won't work out for everyone. When we form public policy we need to look at the country as a whole, not just people who will take care of themselves. So the question is "What kind of retirement security, if any, do we want to be available to the general population without any independent action by them?"

IMO until we answer that question we haven't a prayer of coming up with solutions.

Phil
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us