The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-point-is-that-while-that-approach-may-work-out-25983420.aspx

Subject:  Re: Clinton Retirement Plan Date:  10/11/2007  7:36 AM
Author:  canonian Number:  59570 of 75631

My point is that while that approach may work out just fine for you, it won't work out for everyone. When we form public policy we need to look at the country as a whole, not just people who will take care of themselves. So the question is "What kind of retirement security, if any, do we want to be available to the general population without any independent action by them?"

IMO until we answer that question we haven't a prayer of coming up with solutions.

Why not give people the freedom of choice to decide what they would like to do for their retirement? If you want to give to social security, or invest yourself, or let a financial planner do it for you.

I would not mind giving a smaller amount to SS to cover people who are truly in need. On the other hand I do have a problem with funding people who have the means to do without it.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us