The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Gold Investing Date:  10/14/2007  5:39 PM
Author:  pedorrero Number:  59681 of 88543

Unless the law has changed, technically "yes." You can buy U.S. Eagle (modern bullion)coins but they must be held by the trustee bank. Not all IRA providers do this. As guy above notes, you can also buy "paper gold" such as one of the new ETF or (what I used to use) CEF (Central Fund of Canada) which is kind of a closed-end mutual fund that owns mostly metal (the ancestor of the modern, uppity ETFs ...!)

Don't forget that gold is very volatile. For the most bang for your buck, consider gold stocks. The mere fact you're intersted in it now means you are probably going to lose your ass, but hey that's the market !
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us